Accommodation and Advocacy Advice
One to one advice session
The Accommodation and Advocacy Service is held at the London Gypsy and Traveller Unit's offices on a Monday and a Friday. We provide advice to Gypsy and Traveller families living in houses, on official sites and unauthorised encampments mostly in North East London boroughs.
We support Travellers in gaining skills and confidence which will make them more effective when dealing with services. This ranges from them making their own phone calls from the LGTU office with our support, to signing up for one to one literacy sessions.
The ways in which we work are detailed below
- We deal with the problems which are presented to us, and try to commit the resources to follow it through to resolution.
- At the same time we assess the problems and feed back to the agencies involved who are often guilty of inappropriate responses or neglect; and to the client who hasn’t dealt with until it became a crisis.
- We support Travellers in gaining skills and confidence which will make them more effective when dealing with services. This ranges from them making their own phone calls from the LGTU office with our support, to accessing services independently.
- We develop good individual contacts where possible within the relevant agencies.
- We assess which agencies will give an appropriate and supportive response to Travellers so that we can make referrals with confidence.
- We offer in service training and advice if wanted.
- We support Travellers into finding jobs or becoming self employed.
- We are prepared to make complaints or support Travellers to do so, where practice is very poor.
- We establish boundaries with the Travellers about keeping appointments; not bringing problems to us they can deal with themselves; bringing appropriate documents; managing their own files/paperwork and not allowing things to get to crisis level.
- We are enthusiastic about joint work, and liaise very closely with children centre
- We are always aware of the effects of the discrimination that Travellers routinely face; and how disabling poor literacy is.
Appointments are available on a Monday and Friday between 10am and 3pm. To make an appointment please telephone on
020 8533 2002 or email email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Alternatively download our Accommodation Advice Services Referral form and email to one of the above or return by post to the following address: London Gypsy and Traveller, 6 Westgate Street, London E8 3RN.
Many clients self refer, however we also take referrals through other agencies.
We also refer Travellers to other agencies as appropriate, depending on the type of support they need.